Our comprehensive 18-month Introduction to Judaism class is taught by Rabbi Brusso, Rabbi Sacks and Cantor Ezring. Begins again in January 2023.
One of the foundations of Jewish tradition is a lifelong engagement in study. Regardless of your background – whether you studied as a child or not, whether you had a Bar or Bat Mitzvah or not – the opportunity to advance in Jewish learning is for you!
Matan will bring together adults from the Bet Torah community in a multi-faceted course of learning, exploration and synagogue skill-building, which will culminate at Shavuot services next year (June, 2022) when we celebrate your journey with the broader Bet Torah community. Topics will include:
- Prayer and liturgy
- Hebrew bible and rabbinic literature
- History and theology
- Lifecyle and holidays
- Jewish law and practical living
- Contemporary issues including Israel and the variety within the Jewish world
By the end of the program students will:
- Enhance their experience of and comfort with services
- Be exposed to the many elements of Jewish life and tradition on a level appropriate for adults
- Feel confident in pursuing further studies both within the Bet Torah community and in the wider Jewish world
The teaching schedule will rotate between the clergy with Rabbis Brusso and Sacks focusing on Jewish studies and Cantor Ezring focusing on prayer and Torah skills. The only prerequisites are a desire to learn and basic Hebrew reading skills.