We are very excited to be part of the Jewish Agency for Israel‘s “Shin-shinim” program!

2021-2022 Shinshin: Gilad Grinblat

About Gilad in his own words:

My name is Gilad Grinblat, I am 18 years old and I live in Shoham. I am the older of two brothers. My brother Eitan is 15 years old and we like to talk about topics that interest each of us, and that helps me to learn about new things.

I was born in Israel, my parents made Aliyah from Latin America, my mother came from Venezuela and my father from Argentina. The two of them grew up in Jewish communities and made Aliyah alone out of Zionism and love for Israel, and they met here. Therefore, the values of Zionism and love for Israel have always been a main part of my education. The two came to Israel for the first time as participants in plans of the Jews Agency and their schools. My dad came for the second time as a
madrich. My dad is a dentist and my mom works in the clinic with him. I have a very open and sincere relationship with my parents.

I live in Shoham, a small city, and I spend most of my time here. Here I have my Tzofim activities, my sports group, swimming pool, gym, my school and my friends. We are a group of six very close friends, we all are active members in the Tzofim. Before Covid-19 we got together a lot, we talked and we played board games. Now with the limitations of the virus, we cannot get together so much, but we found a solution and we talk every day on the computer and meet less often.

2019-2020 Shinshinit: Brtukan Ezra

My name is Bartukan Ezra I was born in Ethiopia. I made Aliyah with my family when I was 3 years old I have four siblings, three brothers and one sister. I am the youngest in my family My mother works as a cleaner at Soroka Hospital in Be’er Sheva and my father has a disability that prevents him from working.

I want to study medicine and be part of an organization called Doctors Without Borders that helps people in underdeveloped countries. 

What are Shin-shinim?

The Shin-shinim program is the “year of service program” that offers Israeli high school graduates an opportunity to delay mandatory service in the Israel Defense Forces and serve Diaspora communities for up to 10 months. The program allows communities to meet young Israeli ambassadors who perform meaningful service prior to entering the army. In 2014-15, 98 Service Year Shlichim served in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, and other countries; this number grew to 114 in 2017 and 2018.